"Environmental changes have drastically affected our industry, requiring that we closely look at how to best serve our customers. Philadelphia Insurance Companies is committed to taking responsible action that reduces our environmental impact, while encouraging others to preserve and protect our planet for generations to come."
- Bob O'Leary, President and CEO of Philadelphia Insurance Companies
PHLY has long acknowledged that the protection of the global environment is an important responsibility for all corporate entities. GREENPHLY supports individual- and community-based changes to improve the local environment, and corporate initiatives to reduce the environmental impact of our business activities. GREENPHLY encourages all employees to demonstrate concern for the environment and to act on their own initiative whether at work, at home, or in the community to promote responsible environmental stewardship.
PHLY Supports Green Power
PHLY is a proud member of the EPA's Green Power Partnership Leadership Club. The Partnership assists organizations in procuring electricity generated from renewable resources like wind, solar and low-impact hydroelectric sources, and recognizes Partners' green power leadership. PHLY achieved Partner status after purchasing green power equivalent to 100% of the Company's electricity use in its offices nationwide. PHLY's purchase of certified, 100% wind generated renewable energy certificates displaced approximately 2,324 mega tons of carbon dioxide emissions, which is equivalent to taking 484 cars off the road for a year!
What are our priority areas?
GREENPHLY is committed to continuous improvement in the following areas of our environmental performance:
1. Carbon footprint reduction: We are committed to minimizing the environmental impact of our operations and activities by working to more accurately measure, track, and reduce our carbon footprint.
2. Environmental awareness raising and education: GREENPHLY encourages all employees to demonstrate concern for environmental sustainability and to act on their own initiative whether at work, at home, or in the local community to raise awareness for and educate others on the importance of responsible environmental management.
3. Community support: We are committed to meeting our responsibility as a business to support the wider communities in which we operate.
Achieving Environmental Success Together
events and contributions:
- Bronze-level sponsor of Clean Air Council's 5K Run for Clean Air
- Employees contributed $980 to The Nature Conservancy through Earth Day Jeans Day fundraiser
- Employee volunteer work day with the Friends of the Wissahickon at Wissahickon Park in Philadelphia
- Hosted Earth Day "Picnic for Earth" in multiple offices nationwide
- PHLY cyclists raised $1,000 for the Pennsylvania Environmental Council's PA Environment Ride. The company matched these funds for an additional $1,000 contribution
- Employee volunteer work day at Philadelphia's Concourse Lake
- $3,000 contribution to the Fairmount Park Conservancy for the installation of three picnic tables at Concourse Lake
- Summer intern work day at Concourse Lake with the Fairmount Park Conservancy
- Gold-level sponsor of Clean Air Council's Greenfest Philly